Adobe Illustrator (For Windows)

Adobe Illustrator (AI) for Windows. Adobe Illustrator is a vector-based drawing program developed and marketed by Adobe. The latest version, Illustrator CS4, is the fourteenth generation in the product line. Numerous new features include multiple artboards in a single document, a "blob brush" that is similar to the brush in Adobe Flash, and supports transparency in gradients among other features. 

Keywords Adobe, Illustrator, Windows, Re, tool, several, copies, object

Re: what tool do I use to make several copies of one object?

Adobe Illustrator (For Windows) Forum Index -> Adobe Illustrator (For Windows)

AuthorMessage
Harron_K._Appleman (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: what tool do I use to make several copies of one object?

Just a couple of copies? Copy and paste or Alt-drag.

A bunch of copies? Blend tool.
Adam Lein

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: what tool do I use to make several copies of one object?

I kinda like the Step and Repeat feature. For example, if you want to copy
an object in a circular manner, use the rotate tool to set your desired
center point while holding the Alt key. Enter the rotation amount, then
click copy. Now do Ctrl+D to step and repeat. It will create a new copy of
the selected object for each Ctrl+D at the same angle around the center
point. The same can be done with the scale tool, move a copy, etc.

<Harron_K._Appleman (AT) adobeforums (DOT) com> wrote

Quote:
Just a couple of copies? Copy and paste or Alt-drag.

A bunch of copies? Blend tool.
phoenix321 (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: what tool do I use to make several copies of one object?

Thanks for the advice Larry. By the way, can I also make multiple copies in straight line of this same object with the blend tool? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Wilson

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: what tool do I use to make several copies of one object?

For example, if you want to copy an object in a circular manner, use the
rotate tool to set your desired center point while holding the Alt key.
Enter the rotation amount, then click copy. Now do Ctrl+D to step and
repeat. It will create a new copy of the selected object for each Ctrl+D
at the same angle around the center point.

Step and repeat is handy, Adam, but for that particular example, and just about any time you want objects spaced along a path, I prefer to create a brush with the object and apply it to the path. Spacing and orientation with respect to the path are easily modified via the brush options dialog.

By the way, can I also make multiple copies in straight line of this same
object with the blend tool?

I think that's what I was suggesting, Phoenix. Alt-drag a copy of your object so that you have identical objects at your start and end points. Then use the blend tool to make intermediate copies. Unless you modify the blend path, it will be a straight line by default. Use blend options to modify parameters. More at online help under "Creating Blends."

=-= Harron =-=
Philip_Peterson (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: what tool do I use to make several copies of one object?

Alt drags for a couple of repeats. Blends is my fav for more then a few copies. Harold prefers brushes, I prefer blends, it's what works best for you.

For a more bizarre approach, (for instance the sprirograph look, or a way of producing a sort of art deco look) use the tilde key "~" as you drag and draw.
Jonathan_McClintic (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: what tool do I use to make several copies of one object?

If the object needs to be evenly spaced, the best way is to select the object with the select tool, then hit enter, This brings up a move menu. Enter the distance needed to move and hit copy. If you rapidly hit enter on the keyboard, and copy with the mouse, you can easily create many evenly spaced objects in seconds. I don't even move the mouse, since the menu always appears in the same place.

Jonathan
James_E._Talmage (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: what tool do I use to make several copies of one object?

Effect Menu: Distort & Transform: Transform. Enter scaling, movement, rotation, and number of copies all in one whack.

JET

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: what tool do I use to make several copies of one object?

Cool, James. Yet another way to do it. I like it!

=-= Harron =-=
   Adobe Illustrator (For Windows) Forum Index -> Adobe Illustrator (For Windows)All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1